A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Old Movies During the Holidays

This was the week for old movies at our house. We watched a several in a few days. First was "Sophie's Choice" We watched the Kennedy center awards and saw one of our favorite actresses, Meryl Streep. They showed part of Sophie's Choice during this award program and we wanted to see it. It was a very good movie...she did a wonderful job with her German accent.It went back and forth from the days of WWll and the present time. We saw Sophie, as she lived in Germany, and then going to a concentration camp and having to choose between her two children...who to save. How cruel...they were like animals. How could a mother deal with this?
The next movie was"Rainmaker." This was a Frances Ford Coppola movie starring Matt Damon and Danny Devito. It was so good. We both enjoyed it. One of the stars was in the movie Little Women, which we watched today.

Next came Titanic. This starred Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio. We watched Titanic last night. We both had seen this a couple of times. It is right up there with one of the best movies ever. It was as good now as it was the first time. We both marveled at how real everything looked. How did they do all the sinking scenes? The music was so wonderful.

As the movie was ending, we saw an advertisement for An Affair to Remember. We came in when the movie had already started, but seeing it before...we were able to follow. Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr are known world wide for these roles. Such a romantic film. It holds up even today.

Now we come to today...as I said yesterday, I just can't let go of Christmas this year. I consider Little Women to be a Christmas movie. I watched, while Joe read his book. I sat there, with the tree lit and watched the March family dealing with a meager Christmas while their father was away during the war. The story told of their hardships and their triumphs. The family of women were very loving toward each other. My favorite character is always Jo. She was played by Winona Ryder...in this remake. I usually don't like the redos, but this one is really special.

So, now you know what we were doing this past weekend. Do you watch the same movie over again? Joe says the nice thing about being old is that you forget parts of the movie and can watch them again and still get something new out of it.
If you want a treat...go out and rent one of these movies. You'll be glad you did.
Balisha

8 comments:

Unknown said...

An Affair To Remember ... excellent.
Have a fabulous week.
TTFN ~
Marydon

Tolentreasures said...

Love to watch some movies over and over, Forrest Gump, Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias, Wizard of Oz, to name just a few. I watched The Blind Side again over the holiday, must have not been paying attention the first time, I saw so much more this time.

Cathy

Margie's Musings said...

I consider the old movies to be the best. I especially loved "The Bridges of Madison County" which I watch from time to time.

I also re-watch "Camelot" every once in awhile too.

Lona said...

All such terrific movies. A adore Little Women and have watched it so many times. The sold and snow has finally arrived. Have a wonderful week.

Balisha said...

Hi Mary...One of my favorites from the old days. Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Cathy,
I find that in watching a second time, you see more...especially if it's a complicated movie. The list of yours are some of my faves too.
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Margie...That is one of my faves too. You are finding that I am quite a movie buff.
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Lona...do you like the first Little Women or the remake?
Balisha