A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Life is a Circle

In 1985 I read a poem in a magazine...either Family Circle or Woman's Day, that I loved. I learned that the author lived on an island in the northwest. I sent a letter (this was before I had a computer) to the magazine and learned that she had just published a book called The Sacred Round. I found out who had published it and sent a check for the cost of the small book. When I received it, there was an inscription by the author. It read..."May the watercress grow lush and green up your creek. May your well overflow, and your roof never leak." Thelma Palmer. I still have this little treasure and read from it so many times during the year. Here is a sample of her work.

The Sacred Round by Thelma Palmer

This island is a garden
that circles, loops,and twines it's way through the summer:
winds, honeysuckle round the ancient fir,
sends tendrils spiraling into air,
and rundles bluest buds to hoods and bells.
In Autumn this garden makes
A sweeping curve toward winter:
with ruddy apple cheeks and yellow shapes
of juicy pear, it trims each orchard tree,
and decorates the fields in giant pumpkin globes,
in squashes, blue and gray, with beaded rims.
Next, curling tenderly upon itself,
the garden slows and draws within. It sleeps,
and then, a single rose of birdsong
rings within the winter woods,
the needling holly piques us with it's promise,
Awakening to April sun, this island garden
reaches out once more to close the circle of the year,
and tulip buds and crocus open into chalices
in celebration of the sacred round again.

This poem reminds us that life goes in a circle. We are moving into late fall and following the circle winter will be upon us soon. Wildlife knows this...that's why the birds know when to migrate.We know that winter is coming, so why do we grouse around about it? We know it's coming....why can't we enjoy each day knowing that we have just taken another step in the circle of life?
Balisha


3 comments:

Barbee' said...

Lovely thoughts.

Sissy said...

I know why I grouse about it. I hate it. But your poem makes it sound much more romantic, this garden makes a sweeping curve toward winter
Sounds much more appealing than I think of it!!

Barbara said...

I guess we could learn a lot from the birds and nature if we stop to look.

Love the poem.