A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Garden Blogger's Muse Day November 1, 2011

One of the prettiest sights around our town. Kennedy Hill Road just when the leaves were changing.

Something Told the Wild Geese by Rachel Field


Something told the wild geese
It was time to go.
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered,--"Snow."

Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned,--"Frost."

All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice,
But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.

Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly,--
Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.

2 comments:

Barbee' said...

I had forgotten about this poem. I think it was in one of my childhood books. Lovely post.

Gardentina said...

Hi, Found your blog for the first time. See that you read quite a bit. Don't read much here but this year I read a book by Monica McInerney you might like, called "At Home With The Templetons", based on the other books you listed in the sidebar. Thanks for posting the poem. It's a nice one.