A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Sunday Before Lent

The Sunday before Lent, the beginning of our time of reflection. Our fasting and abstinence officially begins on Ash Wednesday. We may become hungry and tired, but not lonely...because by committing ourselves to Christ we are never alone. During Lent we rediscover the truth of our faith.
During Lent we commit ourselves to self reflection, and soul cleansing. We may give up something that we enjoy or make changes in our lives that will benefit ourselves and others.

We can concentrate on doing service to others during this time. Hopefully we will continue these practices everyday during the rest of our lives.

It all begins on Wednesday. We have Masses and an Ash ceremony at our Church. The ashes are from burnt palm fronds distributed at last year's Palm Sunday. The fronds are burned, sprinkled with holy water and blessed by our Priest. At the ceremony we come forward and have the sign of the Cross on our foreheads.

We all are striving to make this the best Lent we've experienced. There is much more to Lent than what I've said here. There are many books in the library about this season of our Church....also with the computer, you can find so much information, prayers, videos etc. Or better yet, find a Church in your neighborhood that is having an Ash Wednesday ceremony and participate yourself. You'll feel so good.
Balisha




3 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, thank you - have a day filled with blessings...

Lorraine said...

I too am Catholic but with a difference I'm afraid. I believe in God 100% and actually have the same statue of Our Lady that is in your photograph.
I am a natural medium and healer and fought against it for years. I am now called A sceptical Medium as I try to teach how God can give gifts to people to be used to help others, but most today use them in the wrong ways.
I love the grotto you built. I wanted to do the same in my garden. I went to Fatima last year on a day trip off our cruise and wow, what an incredible place that is. I was lucky enough to arrive there just in time for mass and received Holy communion in the exact spot where Our Lady appeared to the three children. Magical indeed.
I just wanted to explain a little about me so you know I'm not too weird.
Lovely to meet you, Lorraine x

Anonymous said...

Hi Balisha! My Bob is Catholic so I know some things about your religion. My son is also Catholic. He became a Catholic while he was living in California. I can truthfully say I have never met a person of the Catholic religion that I did not like. So many of Bob's Catholic friends I just adore and you, too! Have a great week.