A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Buttons and Yarns and the Cold Wind Blowing, Author Unknown


Tweaking this blog...again and again. Trying to find something new for the new year. I guess that I will leave it like this for the time being. Soon it will be Valentine's Day and maybe a whole new look will appear.I find myself liking a black background...colors just pop when put on a black background. I've always liked it in my painting and also in needlework.
It's cold this morning...11 below 0 when we woke up. The sun is shining and it makes it look so nice and warm outside, but you've only to look at the chimneys across the street, and the breath of those hearty souls who are walking by, to see how frigid it is. I must remember to put fresh seed out for the birds. Speaking of birds...my little Tweety has laid three eggs since Christmas. She looked so worn and frazzled that I replaced her eggs with a marble.She tried to hatch that marble for several days, and then I just took it out and she's no longer laying eggs. Just sitting on her nest and when I get too friendly (by trying to touch her) she gets into her Eagle stance on the edge of her nest to try to scare me away.
I've been keeping busy with my project in the basement. I've been painting on something that is a surprise for the winner of my drawing....when I come to my 1000th post.
I'm also making little candle mats. The picture is posted here. I started with a springlike one. Little bunnies on a black background. When finished it will sit on a table with a candle in the middle. Made of felt with pieces so tiny... these old eyes are having trouble sometimes. I love to work with felt. There is no fraying to contend with. A long time ago I did a huge wall hanging of the Partridge in the Pear Tree for Christmas. It took hours and hours. All hand appliqued. This little mat is appliqued too. Teeny, tiny embroidery as the picture shows.
I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them. ~Author Unknown
I love to do handwork when I am sitting watching TV. My knitted cowl is just about done. I'm doing it in a variegated blue and working with circular needles. I haven't used these in a long, long time, so I thought a small project like this would be a way to familiarize myself with them. I started it a week ago and my goal is to finish it so I can wear it to Church this week.
I am going to look for a pattern for a knitted purse. We have a wedding coming up and I have been looking at purses online. They are really expensive...a shame if you are buying a fancy one that you will only use once in a while, so I thought...why not make one. I can fancy it up with a knitted flower or some doo dad...I'll show you when I find a pattern and actually start out.
I've been reading one of Mary Oliver's books of poetry. I love women writers, and pretty much always look them up in the library. Is that sexist?
Balisha

5 comments:

Lona said...

Good cold morning to you Balisha. Your Bunny mat is so cute I just adore it. I always have to be doing something while I am watching TV too. Mostly catching up on reading.I just never got the knack for knitting but I love crocheting. Maybe I am not coordinated enough to use two needles. LOL!I think I was my home economics teachers nightmare. I need to start doing it again. Stay warm and safe.

Margie's Musings said...

Oh Balisha, you are so talented. I am so jealous!

I don't care for the black background on your blog though. It's hard to read,

Balisha said...

Hi Lona...I can't crochet. I have the hooks, yarn, books, DVD's and still can't do it. I would love to learn. We are staying in while this weather is so cold. Have a warm night...Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Margie...That's all I needed was one comment about not liking the black. I was having trouble reading my own blog. I just changed it...and I guess this is how it will stay...for now anyway. Thankyou for being so frank about it. I appreciate it...if you had trouble reading, I'm sure there were many more. Hope you are staying warm today...Have a nice night...Balisha

Anonymous said...

Hi Balisha, Your blog looks great. I love the hummingbirds on the sides. I like women authors, too, and have my favorites. It is so cold here. I am just staying inside and eating myself to death. I made a chocolate cake yesterday and cannot leave the thing alone! I guess I missed the black background but the one you have is really nice.