A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Why Don't We Use the Color Orange More in Our Garden?


Why don't we like the color orange in our gardens? I read post after post about gardeners not liking this color. Not wanting oranges in their perennial borders or anywhere for that matter. I decided to check it out and find out more about the color orange. This fall has been so pretty with so many shades of orange in the foliage. Bright orange, burnt sienna, terra cotta, russet etc. Those were some of my favorite colors when painting a fall scene. Orange is considered a warm color in the landscape.Using orange can have an exciting effect in the garden. Orange flowers come forward in the landscape, helping to make a large garden feel cozier. Orange's complimentary color in the garden is blue. Why is it that we love the vibrant color of sunsets, fresh citrus fruit, and warm flames in our winter fireplaces, but have trouble when it comes to our gardens? Orange is one of those colors that really stands out, even at a distance. My orange lilies in the front get so many comments from people walking by. Also the vibrant purple aster. Hardly anyone says..."I love that pink poppy." This made me remember my orange poppies at my old house. Maybe a clump of those would be pretty in the garden. This year I was trying to decide what kinds of bulbs I was going to order. I knew that I wanted tulips. Should I go with the "safe" colors....white, pink, yellow, red or go to a totally different color for me...orange. I hemmed and hawed about this and couldn't decide right up to the day that the order was to go in. I just checked... with reckless abandon...the orange ones. I feel a little more carefree in my gardening as I age....maybe dull eyesight has something to do with it or maybe I'm just bored with pastels. I am the one who has to live with this garden of mine. It is shared with Joe and the neighbors. I intend to be judicious with my orange planting. Not go crazy with it...plant some perennials in strategic spots in my garden. Maybe I will calm the color down by planting it with white and pale blue or bright blue. I think that orange and blue are a stunning combination. I saw a hanging basket this spring, that I had to tie my hands to keep from buying. It was all in oranges, reds and purple. That doesn't sound like a good combination, but it was breathtaking. I think maybe the price of $80 had something to do with my not buying it too :) Well for what it's worth, I'll be waiting patiently for spring to see if my orange tulips are everything that I hope for. I bought some zinnia seeds in shades of orange for the side border. Hope I don't go crazy with this color...hold me down please.

Balisha

6 comments:

Lona said...

I a, one of those that shy away from orange and yellow. In my case it is the 70's thing of so much drab olive, orange and yellows in everything. I had it in my house decor and got so sick of it.Those colors were drab then. I am trying to add more into my garden now and finding my distaste for it going away. Some yellows and bright oranges I now even like.
With me it was just a MENTAL thing Balisha. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I think orange flowers are really pretty and can't wait to see your orange tulips. I enjoyed the post about your dinner and family. That cake and brownies look so good. No wonder everyone was gathered around the desserts.

Balisha said...

Me too, Lona. I had bright apple green and orange wallpaper in my kitchen in those days. At the time I thought it was beautiful, but got so tired of it. I didn't want to look at apple green and orange again. Now it's creeping back...But today it will be more subdued and not knock your socks off. Balisha

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I love orange in the garden, it is so cheerful.

Tolentreasures said...

I love orange in the garden! Just so it is not on marigolds. Something about those orange marigolds that I just don't like. I have deep orange lilies that I love though!

Love your photo collage!

Cathy

Anonymous said...

I love the color orange in my garden. It goes great with purple so I have a whole bed devoted to this color scheme. :)