A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Pie Fiasco


Thought I'd write about my Thanksgiving pie fiasco. I decided to make two pumpkin pies...one for us and one for a neighbor who did a kind thing for me. I put the pies together using the recipe on the back of Libby's pumpkin. I have always used this recipe. The pies were ready to put in the oven and after watching the food network...I decided to follow their neat idea of putting a cookie sheet in while preheating to get it hot.....The reasoning behind this step was that the pie would sit on a hot surface and the bottom crust would be crispy...not soggy. I searched for a cookie sheet that would hold two pies and put it in the oven. Now the oven was preheated and the pies went in. When it was time to test to see if they were done...the knife came out clean and I removed the pies. They sat on the rack on my counter and they were beautiful. Later in the day, Joe took the pie to the neighbor's. A phone call to thank me...saying that she had just made apple and a pumpkin would taste so good...her hubby's favorite. That night we decided to have a piece of pie while watching TV. I cut into the perfect pie and the knife just kind of dragged through the pie. I went to take a piece out with a spatula and I couldn't get the spatula through the crust. I found the bottom crust to be doughy and it didn't seem like it was cooked one bit. The pie came out without the bottom crust. It was awful. I was so disappointed...especially since I had given one away. I thought about it in the morning, when I woke up. I tried to figure out what went wrong. Well, I decided that I had used the wrong cookie sheet...I had used an insulated one....one that doesn't let cookies brown too much. I really don't like these cookie sheets...I kind of like my cookies browned on the bottom and these sheets seem to take longer to bake. This sheet prohibited my pie crust from getting brown too...It's the only thing that I did differently. That must be the reason. Now as for the topping for our yummy pie....you know the commercial that played all the weeks before Thanksgiving about the waitress who said, "Do you want oil, or cream?" She was referring to cool whip or reddi whip out of a spray can. Cool whip being the oil. We chose cream...a can of squirt whipped topping. I was so disappointed with the taste of Reddi Whip....it was like a mouthful of air. The next pie I make will not be put on a cookie sheet and we prefer OIL with our pie.
Balisha
Friday night....Since we had no pie....I wanted something sweet, so I made chocolate pudding and had Reddi Whip on top. Still wanted that OIL.

7 comments:

Gatsbys Gardens said...

So sorry about the pie, but I did a stupid thing about a month ago with an apple pie. I took it out of the oven and sat it on my stove burner which was on low, forgot to turn it off. Well, it slightly burned the bottom crust of the pie, but it became the kids pie and they never complained.

Eileen

Barbee' said...

Bless your heart, Balisha! I can just imagine how you felt.

Lynn said...

I saw the same thing on the food channel,but did not make pumpkin pies this year my daughter did. I will remember not to use those kind if I try it. Hope you had a wonderful holiday!!!

Balisha said...

I'm not sure if the cookie sheet caused the problem, but I will never use that one again.
Eileen....that sounds like something that I would do too.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your pies Balisha. Usually mine do a bit of a overflow but they turned out great this year. I prefer oil with mine too, lol! :)

Anonymous said...

We all make cooking mistakes Balisha. My girls love that recipe on the Libby's can and always make their pies that way, too. I made some fudge a couple weeks ago that never did set up. I ate it with a spoon!

patsy said...

sorry you pie failed but that is the way it goes some days.