A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My "Morning Walkabout"



Years ago, when I was a busy busy woman...I walked every morning with my dog, Maggie. I carried a walking stick, because of the loose dogs in my neighborhood. I never hit a dog but used it to scare them away. My day started early in those days and I got into the habit of walking before my busy day actually started. There the neighbors would find me...rain or shine walking to the park, doing the perimeter and then taking the long way home. My pal, Maggie, sniffing for bunnies in the back of the park. Her velvet ears flying in the wind, when I would turn her loose for a run near the corn field. Neighbor's houses were often dark when I started out, but by the time I came around the circle of the park, many were getting up, coming out on the porch and telling me good morning. They all knew what I was going through in my life and many asked how I did it all. I think that many people go through times like I did.....especially with aging parents or a sick spouse. Your life keeps changing little by little, day by day, and you are able to take on more than you would ever think possible. We humans are so adaptable this way. Women especially, I think, because we adapt to having children and still working outside of the home and managing to keep things going on the homefront, sometimes with the help of our spouses.....better today than in the past. Walking was my salvation. “My Morning Walkabout” is what I called it. I used it to clear my mind for the day. It was an opportunity for me to go on a walk... which was good for my body and mind. I often talked to God while walking. I got some of my best ideas and solutions to my problems during my morning walkabout. I come back to the house with a clear mind and ready to start the day.
Slowing down caused me to take in the scenery I was experiencing.There is something almost spiritual about the early morning and a sunrise. The scenary was breathtaking...wildlife in the park was a joy for me. Slowing down and taking in nature was refreshing. It kept me centered and helped me take a deep breath before I started my hectic day. Life was pulling me in different directions ...my aging parents one with Alzheimers, caring for grandchildren everyday, taking care of my home, doing artwork, caring for a sick husband...were many of the challenges that I met each day.I needed some time for just me...and I found it early in the morning, before anyone was awake. I used that precious time to meditate and work out problems. It became a habit with me and I got so much out of it. My body and mind gained so much strength from this simple half hour. I have always been someone who can't shut off my mind at night. I worried about things, worked out solutions in my head, got creative ideas, made out grocery lists...you name it. Everything but sleep. I would watch the clock and think, "Only 4 hours left...I have to get to sleep." Then, "Only 2 hours... I may as well get up." Getting out in the fresh air and walking gave me time to work out my problems in the morning, so that I didn't need to think about them at night. Once I started waking up early I noticed that I began to sleep better and wanted to go to bed. My head would hit the pillow and I would fall asleep before my prayers were finished. I got through that difficult time in my life and I think that I owe it to my "Morning Walkabout."
Balisha
I promised a cookie recipe...Here goes.


1, 2, 3 Snap Brownies


4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 (14 oz.) cans Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
I cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions
HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
COMBINE graham cracker crumbs, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, butter and vanilla in large bowl. Mix until blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
BAKE 25 to 30 minutes. Cool. Cut into bars.

These are so easy. I take the bars out of the oven and with a knife...loosed them away from the pan and wait a few minutes before cutting them into squares. Be sure to do this while they are still warm. Cut them into small bars (they are very rich) and keep them in a tightly closed container. I got the recipe from my mother-in- law years and years ago. Her recipe said to bake them 28 minutes...
After eating a few of these...I need my "Morning Walkabout" again :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had something for yourself during these times. I love to walk and I have a walking stick, too. I enjoyed looking at your recipes. I bet Tater would love the one on this post. I will have to make it for him.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Baliash, once again we have a lot in common. Walking was my salvation, prayer time and quiet time for years and still is!!!
With a divorce filed, ill mother, 4 children at all stages of life it was difficult. Difficulty remained as I struck out on my own.
I have made it so far. You speak to my heart with this post. Take care of yourself.

Noelle Johnson said...

Hello Balisha,

I love your story about your walks and all of their benefits. Years ago, I used to do this, but now work out at a gym. I think I would enjoy a walk outside much more :-)