A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Why Do Some Clematis Follow the Rules and Others Don't

An old saying about clematis....the 1st year they sleep, 2nd year they creep and third year they leap.
We planted this late last summer. It was a hot day and the ground was very hard. Joe was trying to dig a hole to plant this in. His face was contorted and sweat was running down his forehead. Audra was down... crouching beside him. "Why is your face like that?" she said. He just grumbled. He got it planted and we kept it watered. Fall came and the little leaves dropped off and then that horrible winter. Here it is this spring. It certainly didn't follow the rules. It is growing up beyond the support system that we have for it. Today, it has fallen back on itself, due to the heavy winds yesterday. I wish that I had tied the top to something, but it will be OK. It must be a perfect spot for this clematis. We have two tomato plants growing behind it. We use every available space to get a tomato plant in. I planted a sweet autumn clematis just this year. It is in the woods border. I cut the leaves off a sumac tree and left the branches bare. They are a very interesting shape...all twisted and gnarly. I put the clematis at the base of this tree and stuck in some rather tall bare branches for it to start growing up the tree. I thought that this vigorous vine would look cool all twisted around that tree. I looked at it yesterday. It looks pretty much like it did the day I planted it. It seems that this clematis will follow the rules.
Balisha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think each plant must have it's own personality and decide what it wants to do each year. I have two rose bushes close together. One has tripled in size since last year the other is still the same. I have 3 clematis and like yours one is huge and the other two stay pretty much the same. I, too, have tomato plants stuck everywhere this year. If they all have tomatoes, I can feed this end of the county. It has been so hot and humid here and that is good for garden stuff. I have okra doing well in flower beds and cucumbers, too!