A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Taking Down the Christmas Tree


It had to come...Christmas decorations are finally boxed up and ready to be put away for 1 year. In the Catholic Church...Christmas was officially over this weekend. This gave me an excuse for leaving my trees up until today. I have always hated driving by a house the day after Christmas and seeing a naked tree out on the curb. Once this tree was beautifully decorated and the centerpiece of some one's home. What do children think about taking down the tree and tossing it? You might think that they would be a little sad...the tree that maybe they went and chopped down, decorated with anticipation...waiting till evening, drinking cups of hot chocolate around, excitedly hoping that presents under the tree held something only they wanted...memories.
At night, I imagined the family sitting in the darkness with only the tree lights on. What a beautiful peaceful thing. We sat last night with our two trees lit...knowing that this morning I was going to take them down. A certain sadness came over me. Another Christmas over...what events will happen in the New Year? When you are young, I think that you look forward to the coming year more that when you get older. We tend to think of all the Christmas's past, children growing up and moving away, people in our families that are gone, pets who are no longer here with us, our bodies aging and friends failing. We are melancholy sometimes and the decorated house lifts our spirits. Well, enough of that maudlin thinking...I have a house...a whole palette, if you will, to decorate. Bring on the color I say...candles lit in the evening...a fire in the fireplace...new books to read....a new holiday to plan for. Soon it will be Valentine's Day.
Balisha :)

No comments: