A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Popcorn in the Feeder by Balisha


The winter day was very cold...the storm blew through the night..

The weather forecast was so dire..it gave us both a fright.

Inside the house was cozy warm..we looked for things to do..

Outside the wind was howling.. and it was snowing too.

Knitting, reading, watched TV, while sitting by the fire..

We both were hungry for a snack..popcorn was our desire.

The popping corn, the melting butter, a bowl for us to share..

We ate our fill and went to bed and left the bowl right there.

The morning wind awakened us...it was so very cold..

The little birds need so much food.. is what we've both been told.

I filled the feeder without delay with hair and bathrobe blowing..

The door I opened and jumped inside.. while outside it was snowing.

When inside my cozy house I came.. and ate a breakfast warm..

I looked at birds just shivering so.. throughout the morning storm.

I went to toss the popcorn out... and a thought came in my head..

Would birdies like to share our treat.. is what the voices said.

I dressed in boots, with mittens on, and took the birds my treat..

I tossed the popcorn on the shelf.. and watched a junco sweet.

He cocked his little head.. and went to the feeder wary..

He jumped away with fright...what was this food so scarey?

He checked it out again.. and moved a piece around..

Some pieces blew and frightened him.. they landed on the ground.

He didn't give up... this bird so brave..he wanted just to eat..

He just got up his courage.. and jumped on his two feet.

He landed in the strange new food.. and then he took a bite..

It was delicious...he looked at me...and ate with such delight.

I watched him call his friends..the cardinal and the jay..

They shared a meal together.. on this the coldest day.

So if you're eating popcorn.. will you save a kernel or two..

Some little friends will love a treat..will you give them just a few?

Balisha

3 comments:

Elenka said...

Your comments, from you and your husband, were so needed. I am overwhelmed how people on these blogs, people we'll never even know, can be so comforting. Even though I burst into tears reading from everyone, it was a good thing. A very good thing. Thany you again.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Balisha, I hope we get a good thaw in the next week or two. Poor little birds and bunnies, etc.
Marnie

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I loved this one Balisha! How cute! I could just see it all happening in my mind as I read! Anything written in verse I love.

Congratulations to your Grandson and his new bride. The photographer was another Grandson. :) He took so many that it was hard to decide which to post. I thought he did a great job of catching moments.
Thank you for your sweet comments, Balisha.
Mona