A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, December 18, 2009

A Christmas Shelter Dog's Poem


As you gather this holiday season to spend time with friends and family and your own beloved furry family members, take just a moment to think of those dogs and cats who sit alone and unwanted, with just the barest of necessities.




A Christmas Shelter Dog’s Poem

’Tis the night before Christmas and all through the town,every shelter is full—we are lost, but not found.
Our numbers are hung on our kennels so bare,we hope every minute that someone will care.
They’ll come to adopt us and give us the call,“Come here, Max and Sparkie — come fetch your new ball!”
Once we were little, then we grew and we grew. Now we’re no longer young and we’re no longer new.
So out the back door we were thrown like the trash.They reacted so quickly — why were they so rash?
We “jump on the children,” “don’t come when they call,”we “bark when they leave us,” “climb over the wall.”
We should have been neutered, we should have been spayed,now we suffer the consequence of the errors THEY made.
If only they’d trained us, if only we knew,we’d have done what they asked us and worshiped them, too.
We were left in the backyard, or worse, let to roam.Now we’re tired and lonely and out of a home.
They dropped us off here and they kissed us goodbye…“Maybe someone else will give you a try.”
So now here we are, all confused and alone, in a shelter with others who long for a home.
The kind workers come through with a meal and a pat,with so many to care for, they can’t stay to chat.
They move to the next kennel, giving each of us cheer…we know that they wonder how long we’ll be here.
We lay down to sleep and sweet dreams fill our heads of a home filled with love and our own cozy beds.
Then we wake to see sad eyes, brimming with tears –our friends filled with emptiness, worry, and fear.
If you can’t adopt us and there’s no room at the inn –could you help with the bills and fill our food bin?
We count on your kindness each day of the year –can you give more than hope to everyone here?
Please make a donation to pay for the heat…and help get us something special to eat.
The shelter that cares for us wants us to live,and more of us will, if more people will give.
– Author Unknown
Balisha

7 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh Balisha, you made tears come to my eyes. My Callie was to be put asleep. Living in the country through the years I have made a home for about 1/2 dozen of the homeless. They all loved me with a passion. Hopefully "no one ever buys a dog".

A New England Girl said...

Goodness... you made me cry on my first trip to your blog! I am always so touched by the plight of animals that are abused, neglected and ultimately end up in shelters... at least help came for them... but it is still so sad and so heartbreaking. I often wish I had more money to donate to shelters to help ease the burden. Shelter dogs are such wonderful companions... I truly believe they love and appreciate more because of what they have seen and where they have been.

Anonymous said...

I love the Santa countdown with the puppies, too. That is a great poem. I would send it to my girls but they would go and bring home all the dogs from the homeless shelter. They got a new one after Dodgie died. His name is Rusty and he is an Australian, too, like the other one. They now have 2 Australians, 4 horses, and a cat named Greeley!

Balisha said...

I didn't mean to make people sad, but the animal situation is really tragic. Pets are like throwaways sometimes.I can't look at a dog or cat without loving it. They are so innocent and trusting. I could go on and on...
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hello New England Girl..
You had to come and visit when my post was serious. Come again and read tomorrow. I'm going to visit your blog tomorrow too.
Balisha

Noelle Johnson said...

Oh boy, you made me want to cry. But, then I remembered that my husband and I just adopted a little dog from our local shelter and are so thankful for him. Thank you for the precious poem and reminding us all of the many animals waiting for homes.

Sue said...

Balisha, My heart just goes out to the precious animals that don't have a home and are in the shelter. When we were looking for a dog when Dan was a toddler, that is the first place we went. I wanted to take them ALL home! This little poem is just heart wrenching, and if it makes only one person aware of these animals' plight, it will have made a difference. Thank you for posting it.
hugs, Sue