A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Frost and a Poem


Hello,

The class reunion was great. We all had a good time and I took lots of pictures. I will post some of them at a later time.

It's cold this morning. I can see frost across the street on the lawn. I haven't been out to check things in my yard out yet, however. Old man winter is lurking just around the corner. It only takes one frost to kill a tropical plant, so the time to act is now and bring your houseplants in from the out of doors.
The first thing to do before bringing in a houseplant is to check it for pests. I brought my Christmas cactus in last week and put them on the kitchen counter. I left them there and went on to do something else...came back and ants were all over the counter. I won't do that again. My routine will be to move the pot and place it on the patio where it can be observed for awhile before it is brought indoors. Also, be sure to check the leaves for spider mites and other pests. If you do find an infestation, spray the plant with insecticidal soap.
When relocating the plant in the house, be sure to choose a location that suits that plant’s needs as far as sunlight. Most plants will do well with bright, indirect sunlight, but if you are unsure, look it up online or in a plant book. And always make sure that the plant is not located near a heating vent. Mu hubby had heat put downstairs this summer...It is coming in right over my plant stand. I moved the plants and now they won't be hit with direct heat.
Most houseplants like high humidity and most homes in the winter have low humidity. You can help your plants out by running a humidifier or spraying the leaves with water periodically. I also like to put my plants in the shower now and then. The bathroom is actually the best spot in the house for indoor plants because of the high humidity. If you have the space, you may want to consider placing a couple of plants in the bathroom.
Most indoor plants will not need fertilizer over the winter as this serves as a rest period for them. If you do feel the need to fertilize, used a watered-down water-soluble fertilizer once every six weeks or so.
The most common cause of death for houseplants is over-watering. Don’t love your plants to death. Most will require watering once a week. Pick one day of the week to check them. Most houseplants like to dry out a bit between waterings.Well if you didn't bring them in yesterday, it may be too late. but if they were next to the foundation they may be OK. Next week the weatherman is calling for the 60's...go figure.

Balisha


The First Frost


My houseplants were outside when the weather report came in..

A killing frost was coming a clue that winter would begin.

I hurried to my garden and looked at all the happy plants..

I did the first frost shuffle and started up the dance.

My cactus would be coming in and too the little mum..

I began to take them in and sang a little hum.

The basement would be crowded with every kind of plant..

And then I would begin my usual garden rant.

Why didn't I get some more shelves this summer when I could?

The sale across the street had some of them in wood.

The plants were now in place on shelves and tables too..

There wasn't room for anymore...what was I going to do?

I would have to toss some plants and put them in the bin..

How would I choose which one to toss to me it's just a sin.

To throw a living thing away was just the hardest thing..

I shut my eyes and held my breath as I began to fling.

And then a thought occurred to me as I came into the house..

I had just created Heaven for a teeny tiny mouse.

It would decorate her home for cold days that were here..

She could sleep beneath the branches of a plant that was so dear.

It would keep her cozy in the winter and then on into spring..

A smile came to my face as I began to sing.

A song of joy and laughter was what I would sing now..

Helping out a tiny one and feeling good somehow.

Balisha

5 comments:

Barbee' said...

Good to be reminded, Balisha, love the poem, too, and that photo is of the cutest little pink-pawed priss I have ever seen.

Noelle Johnson said...

Hello,

I enjoyed reading your blog. Your photo is priceless! Thank you also for the wonderful poem.

cwa said...

Thank you for all the wonderful winter tips for plants. Your poem is so sweet and the photo is precious. Blessings to you.

Balisha said...

Hi everybody,
I loved the picture of that dear little mouse Barbee.

Welcome azplantlady...nice to know that you enjoyed your visit. Come again.

Hello, CWA...thanks for the sweet comments about the poem.
((HUGS)) Balisha

Judy said...

Thanks for the reminder. It is getting cooler every day here, too. It was in the 40s last night. I will have to try putting my plants in the shower. That is a good idea and it will get the dust off the leaves, too. I can wipe the leaves while they are sucking up the moisture. Glad you had a good time at the reunion. Have a good week. The mouse is so cute.