A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

We All Need to Help


How to start out? I watched a movie last night that really touched me. I'll tell about it a little later, because I had some thoughts about how we are affected by the world and how it has treated us.This morning when I woke up, I started thinking about how we take care of each other.When we have a child, we hover over that little baby. Take the best care that we know how. Sacrifice for it, we live for this little one. They grow up and become whatever they want to become, with us looking on proudly. Through their lives...not everything goes the way we may like, but it is their life and they know best how they want things to go. Things happen in Mom's and Dad's lives too. Parents pass away and new people come into the mix. We hope that they are accepted, because it is so important to us, because it's our life and we know best how we want things to go. We all take care of each other in families. We are so lucky to have each other. Maybe we could take better care of each other in our families. Call on the phone, visit, email, send cards and letters, just be kind to each other. We branch out into the world with our love.Maybe we are members of a Church family and find peace there. We are not judged by our Priests and Ministers we are all treated the same. We find peace there in prayer and fellowship. We learn who needs help and love in our community. A child has a terrible accident, someone loses a job, a family experiences a death, or something good happens to a friend...a baby is born, a sick spouse is improving. We have always been there for our family and we have some love left to share with others. It's a circle...what goes around, comes around...as the saying goes.

I realize that things don't always go perfectly...it's not a perfect world. I found that out last night. The movie that we watched is "The Soloist." Little did I know, when I left the video store with this film in my hands what affect it would have on me."The Soloist" is about Nathaniel Ayers who was a Juilliard-trained musician who battled schizophrenia and wound up homeless in Los Angeles, playing violin for pocket change. In "The Soloist," Jamie Foxx plays Ayers and Robert Downey Jr. plays Steve Lopez,... a reporter for the Los Angeles Times...looking for a story. He finds this bedraggled man on the streets of skid row, with his shopping cart full of possessions, and playing a violin. This man is into his music and unaware of the world around him when he is playing. For some reason this man touches Steve and he can't get him off his mind and goes through so much to help him.

Most of the homeless people shown in the film are actually homeless. The film doesn't candy coat their lives. It's hard to watch at times. You see the frustration in trying to help them.
The film makers shot on "skid row" in Los Angeles, which is known for being home to one of the largest stable populations of transient persons (homeless) in the United States.I think, if I read correctly, there are over 90,000 homeless people in LA. Just think about that figure...90,000. These people all had families in the beginning. What happened to change their lives so? Many of them are there because of illness. Who is taking care of them? With the economy right now...I know that help is needed. Could we do more ourselves and not have to depend on our government?

Can you imagine living on the streets? I was looking out the window from our bed this morning and thought, "We own this property for as far as my eye can see." Sometimes we get frustrated because we have to mow, we have to weed, the beetles are here, the deer ate the flowers, no one helps me, the kids don't understand me, I'm tired of cleaning, I'm sick of cooking, and on and on. Don't we realize how lucky most of us are? We have it all. These people, living on the streets, don't even have a flower to put in a jelly jar on their windowsill.

Balisha

6 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

I have heard so many wonderful things about that movie. I plan to watch it very soon.

We have so many homeless right here in our area. I see them at the library and on the streets. Our local Rescue Mission helps them but no one seems to have a long term plan to save them.
Marnie

Balisha said...

I know...what would some do without the Rockford Rescue Mission? That number 90,000 just got me.it's just a little less population than the town of Elgin.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Fantastic post, Balisha! We don't have what a lot have and yet we have a lot! Some of the homes out there are amazing...and yours is one of them! :)
I am fine with what I have...and very grateful! I loved the reminder..and I think it was needed for many!
I should have written to you and asked you what to do about that painting...When I got to your answer I thought, of course she would know! I will do it. I have to get better so I can get the items I need..but it sounds exactly like what I needed to know.
I am still dragging around...and impatient to be well...but...I am counting my blessings! Thrice daily, actually! :)
I'm sending you a big, warm and loving hug. Thank you for your encouragement!

Sue said...

Wow. You have said so much, and to think it all started with a movie. We ARE our brother's keeper- whether that brother is a stranger, a friend, or a family member. I think so many of us need to do an assessment of our lives and lifestyles.
Do we really need what we think we do? Could we offer something up in order that someone else can benefit from what we can give? Food for thought...

Elenka said...

You, my dear Balisha, always hit the nail on the head.
You can put focus on things that are all around us.
Good job.

coolwaterworks said...

My dear Balisha,
First, you have a very beautiful header... :)

Second, I have seen this movie too, and like you I was moved and it made me realize and count my blessings. Further, it made me appreciate the little things in life, like stopping for a while and listening to the music around us.

Thank you for this post... :)