A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, June 29, 2009

A Fuzzy Favorite

Have you ever just simply loved a plant? This is one that I simply love. It doesn't have a beautiful flower...in fact they can be kind of ugly. I hated to say that and hurt the plant's feelings.
It is called Lamb's Ear. It doesn't require much attention really. It does better with little water, so planting in an herb garden would be perfect. Soft, downy foliage, formerly used to bandage wounds. ... STACHYS BYZANTINA ( what a name!) Delightful soft, downy foliage resembles lamb's ears in feel and appearance. Silvery appearance is ideal for contrasting and grey gardens. I noticed that they usually plant this in children's gardens. Kids love the fuzzy leaves. I do too. We were making prints in my art class and these were the best leaves to use. They hold the paint and you can use them over and over. Do you have Lamb's Ears in your garden?
A Poem by Balisha....Little Lamb
Little lamb in garden lie..
Soft and fuzzy give me sigh.
Children love you this I know..
Quietly shy in garden row.
When it's cold and others cower..
Lamb will be there faithful flower.
Balisha

4 comments:

Wayne Stratz said...

I recently read that some folk make tea from these fuzzy leaves... have you tried?

Anonymous said...

I love the foliage more than the blooms too. It's a great filler in the garden. :)

OhioMom said...

Interesting plant, I will be on the lookout for it ... texture in the garden is as important as color :)

Balisha said...

I haven't heard about making tea with this plant. I'll have to do a search..
I love the foliage...it always looks nice.. and it does fill in so well.