A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday










This from the Catholic Encyclopedia about Good Friday.






From the earliest times the Christians kept every Friday as a feast day; and the obvious reasons for those usages explain why Easter is the Sunday par excellence, and why the Friday which marks the anniversary of Christ's death came to be called the Great or the Holy or the Good Friday. The origin of the term Good is not clear. Some say it is from "God's Friday" (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English. Sometimes, too, the day was called Long Friday by the Anglo-Saxons; so today in Denmark.






When I was a girl we would go to the theater in our town and watch a movie about the Passion. In those days stores closed from noon to three. Some businesses were closed for the whole day. There was a time when my youth group went to Zion Illinois to see the Passion Play. It was quite a production. Later on, when I worked for our mayor, his store was always closed from 12 to 3. Other stores started observing this tradition too...in our small town. Our Church today, will celebrate Good Friday with a Passion Liturgy at noon, a Divine Mercy Novena at 3pm, and the Living Stations of the Cross at 6pm. So there is something for everyone. Joe and I plan to watch Mel Gibson's Passion of Christ between 12 and 3 today. We saw this movie at the theater a few years ago...it is a difficult movie to watch.






I probably won't be posting again until after Easter. Our family will be here tomorrow and we will go to my son's on Easter Sunday. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a Blessed Easter.
Balisha



6 comments:

Lynn said...

The cooking and cleaning frenzie is on...Easter bread today and cleaning. My daghter is comming over today to help with bread, she wants to know how to make my bread. We have 15 comming for dinner on Sunday, I love having all the family here.
Have a wonderful Easter enjoy all the family together..
God Bless...

joey said...

Easter blessings!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

It is almost nice getting older and others do most of the cooking.
Thank you for the informative post on Good Friday! Have a wonderful and blessed Easter, Balisha.
Mona

2 Dogs said...

Hope you have a wonderful Easter. I'm going to my mother's for dinner. John is home for a couple of days. Maybe we will go see a movie. We have a tornado watch until 10pm tonight. John has gone out in the rain to get me a pizza.

Balisha said...

Happy Easter everyone...Hope you all have a happy day and a wonderful Easter meal. We are 10 today...I am making the food including an icecream cake for my son's birthday.Tomorrow we will have the traditional dinner with my other son and his family.

Patti...What a guy....going out though wind, hail, rain, tornados to get his wife a pizza...he's a keeper!

Judy said...

Hope you enjoy your weekend with your family. The flowers on the porch below are so pretty. Happy Easter, Balisha.