A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Little Sunbeam


My first memories of Church are when I was about five years old and just starting to think about going off to grade school. I started going to the big Church with my Mom and Dad then it was time for me to go to Sunday School. I was never a shy kid and went off, without my parents, easily. I remember my first Sunday School teacher...Mrs. Owen. She had what she called her felt board. This was a big board covered with felt...she would put cutouts up on that board, and they would stick there, while she told us stories of the Bible. Her characters were just paper and they were time worn, but she used them every week. We learned so much from that simple way of teaching. Our songs are still in my head, "Jesus Loves Me, The Old Rugged Cross, This is My Father's World" and so many others. The one that stands out in my head is "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam." It would be my first solo at Church. My Mom fashioned a sunflower outfit out of yellow crepe paper. My head was encircled with petals...my face was in the center. The "chorus" was behind me, while I shyly sang..."Jesus wants me for a sunbeam to shine for him each day." The parents all applauded...the first applause that I ever got. I haven't sung a solo since, however. Later on in my Sunday School life, I remember standing on a corner...about three blocks from my house, waiting for my Sunday School teacher to pick me up, to take me to Church. We didn't have a car, so I had to get a ride. I would stand there in my Sunday best...nothing on my legs...shivering and waiting. She would pick up three girls and it saved us from walking about a mile. She did this faithfully...every week, her name was Mrs. Radloff. This was a good religious background for me. Memories that have stayed with me for the rest of my life. A couple of my "background singers" were at our 50th reunion for high school.I can still here those little voices behind me, while I sang my heart out.
Balisha
Here are the lyrics...do any of you remember this song?
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,To shine for Him each day;
In every way try to please Him, At home, at school, at play.
Refrain
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,Jesus wants me for a sunbeam;A sunbeam, a sunbeam,I’ll be a sunbeam for Him.
Jesus wants me to be loving, And kind to all I see;
Showing how pleasant and happy His little one can be.
Refrain
I will ask Jesus to help me To keep my heart from sin,
Ever reflecting His goodness,And always shine for Him.
Refrain
I’ll be a sunbeam for Jesus;I can if I but try;
Serving Him moment by moment,Then live with Him on high.
Refrain

Balisha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard this hymm before Balisha. What a sweet tune!

OhioMom said...

Balisha .. my first memory of church was my role as the Virgin Mary at church for Christmas, I was all of 5 years old .. :)

I don't recall this song, but Jesus Loves Me was sung to us by my mother.

Balisha said...

Funny how these things stick in our heads all of our lives.