A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Academy Awards and a Memory


The Academy Awards show was wonderful last night. I have read no reviews and have not had TV or the radio on...so this is simply what a 70 yr old woman thought. I have been disappointed the last few years, but Hugh Jackman did a fabulous job of hosting. The Kodak Theater was beautiful and stage designs perfect for each segment. (I feel like I am writing a review in a newspaper now)

They said they were going to add more show biz to it and they certainly did. Many musical numbers brought us back to the old days of Hollywood. The women were stunning in their beautiful gowns and hairdos. The men were just as stunning. I hadn't seen the movies, but I do read the reviews ...so I knew a bit about each one. Even if we didn't see them...we know what to look for now in selecting a movie from the video store.

This reminds me of the old days, when I was dating. A movie was the thing to do. It seems we saw a movie every week or so. Drive in theaters were all the rage. Later, when I was married, the drive in became an inexpensive thing for our family. We would dress the kids in their pajamas and pile them in the car with popcorn and blankets, pillows etc. There was a playground at the movie, so before the show, the kids in their jammies, would run over and join other kids and play on the swings. It's funny...in those days when I was married to my first husband my present husband and his wife lived in the same town. They went to the drive in too. We love the same movies and think now that our kids must have played together back then....we could have been parked next to each other....never knowing that our spouses would pass away and one day we would be married.It is indeed a small world. Well, on to the show...the cartoon first and then the movie. Usually about half way through the movie the kids would settle down and fall asleep. We would watch the rest of it in peace and quiet and then take the speaker off the window and head for home. Two sleepy kids would be carried into the house, dead to the world, and placed in their little beds. It was a nice night out for us and a needed change for a Mom who stayed home.

Balisha

5 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

Ah yes...the wonderful days of the drive in movies. We used to put one or two extras in the truck and sneak them in.

Balisha said...

Margie....you naughty girl! LOL I have always heard those stories and now a confession.

Judy said...

I loved the awards last night and High Jackman was wonderful. I could just sit and look at him! We used to love the drive-in, too. I remember going with a date one time and he went to the concession stand and I moved the car for a prank. It was so funny watching him looking all over the place. My children have never been to a drive-in. I think they missed out on something.

Balisha said...

Hi Judy, You and Margie are so "bad" LOL
My youngest hasn't been to a drive in either.

A New England Life said...

The good old days. I remember going to drive in movies as well. It seems like a lifetime ago!

What a small world indeed! Funny how things turn out, you just never know.

I watched the awards show off and on. My hubby and I switched back and forth between the race and the Awards show. I have to say I enjoyed what I saw!

Judy, you are funny! You must have a good sense of humor : )