A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, October 23, 2008



I thought that I would add a little "Halloween" to my blog today. If you want to see something really special...go over to Judy's blog...Living on the Other Side of the Hill.... http://jdyflygrl.blogspot.com/. Judy has the most decorated blog imaginable. There is something for everyone. I think that we need fun like this in our crazy world. The colors, pictures, poems etc ,for our enjoyment, are some work for Judy. I for one really appreciate all the time she takes to give us pleasure each day. She is one of my faves

Halloween memories from childhood really don't begin until I was in the later years of grade school. I can remember my Mom making me a costume a few times. Most times I would put on makeup (a real treat) costume jewelry... lots of bangles , a scarf tied around my head, a peasant blouse and full dirndl skirt (is there such a thing anymore?) and take a pillow case and go out the door as a gypsy. I don't know how many years I was a gypsy. Quite a few, I would guess.We moved to a housing development after the war. The people there were all in the same boat. Not much money, first homes for most, and lots of kids. We were one of the first housing developments and I guess people in town thought our neighborhood was safe. People from all over dropped their kids off at our entrance and picked them up at 9. We had so many trick or treaters that my folks would send me out for candy, when they ran out...so they could keep treating. We never checked candy in those days. We ate the crunchy popcorn balls, homemade pumpkin cookies, peanut brittle that stuck to everything in your bag, an occasional taffy apple, and of course the health nuts who gave us an apple. My least favorite treat was money. Today my husband says that was his favorite treat. I still don't like money as a gift...I guess it lasted all these years.

In high school...we still trick or treated. Now we were a group of kids...not wearing costumes. We didn't do any harm....the boys did a few pranks...harmless ones. There were Halloween parties which were the most fun. We would wear costumes and were judged for the best ones. My gypsy never won. Bobbing for apples, a doughnut on a string (you had to eat it with no hands) passing the orange tucked in your neck, who doesn't remember scavenger hunts? These parties were before the boy girl parties that started a little later. October 31st always brings a smile to my face...good memories.

BOO -LISHA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had parties like that when I was growing up too. Trick or Treating was something special we looked forward to even as teenagers. The world has changed so much that those simple pleasures aren't possible now. :( I've caught up with all of your posts for the past week, sorry I got behind in my reading. It's been busy at my house. :)

Balisha said...

Hi Racquel,
I try to play catch-up sometimes. We get busy and some don't blog everyday.
Could I ask you...is OhioMom your real Mom? Just wondering. I miss her blogs and recipes.

Jean said...

This post brings back memories! Too bad some things change. I can't wait to see how your cornucopia turns out. Jean