A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Busy Day and Busy Mind


                                                             

Today will be busy. I haven't been helping our decorating committee at Church very much lately, because of some physical problems. When I was called on yesterday.. about making the wreaths for Church and our Priest's home...I jumped at the chance. I love to make wreaths....so I went over to Church and picked up the supplies then dug some of my own out of storage. Right now, my garage is full of that wonderful smell of Christmas....pine. I looked at them and thought how pretty they already were...with nothing on them, but in a matter of hours they will be decorated with Christmas bows, cones and other goodies.

The next thing on my Christmas to-do list is to make two cherry pound cakes for a couple of elderly people at Church. One of them is a neighbor of mine. She is such a lovely lady. Very quiet and unassuming. She lives in a house that is back off the road, surrounded by beautiful gardens in the shade. I posted a picture a few years ago of her border full of purple coneflowers. She took care of these gardens years ago, but lately has had a landscaping service keep it up. It is the most peaceful spot that I have ever seen. Her husband passed away this year, so she lives there with her two West Highland Terriers and has help from her family so she can stay in her beloved home. I'm looking forward to our visit.

We go out for lunch on Friday's, so I don't have to worry about our meal. We usually have fish...staying with the old Catholic ways of fish on Fridays...most of the year.Our little local restaurant has a good fish fry...and I can get mine broiled.

The weather today is chilly and a little dreary. The snow that was predicted for the weekend has been changed. Just a little snow...instead of a big event. It is going to get colder, however.  I'll be making bean soup tomorrow, using some ham from Thanksgiving that I put in the freezer.

Tonight we are going to Mass. It is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and it's a Holy Day of Obligation.

I have been thinking about what to bring to the kids house at Christmas, for a treat. I think...now I'm just starting to think about this mind you...I think I may make a big round platter of chocolate eclairs and cream puffs. I may change my mind...a woman's prerogative you know :)
Balisha

4 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

You have such a big heart, Balisha. When you wrote about your elderly neighbor, I got a tears in my eyes. Christmas can be so hard for people who are alone. I was friends with an elderly neighbor years ago after his wife passed away. For three years we had lunch every Thursday. He came to our holiday dinners. I think I enjoyed these precious times more than he did...he was really a fascinating man.

Enjoy your weekend and this wonderful holiday season.

XO,
Jane

Barbee' said...

I know that whatever you decide to make and take, they will be delighted. I've never had cherry pound cake; it sounds good.

Judy said...

I especially love church this time of year. thank you for being so nice to your neighbor--I wish I lived next door!

Barbara said...

The garden sounds ideal and I am sure your friend enjoyed the visit and the pound cake.

The wreaths are beautiful too I imagine.

Hope you had/are having a great weekend Balisha.