A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Are You a Morning Lark or a Night Owl?


Are you a lark or night owl or one who adapts to each lifestyle...a hummingbird? There have been times in my life, when I've had to be that hummingbird. Early on in my child bearing years...I had to rise early. Oh, how I longed for just another hour of sleep. I was afraid to nap, when feeding my babies, for fear I'd smother them. They were up with the birds...all except one...my oldest. He was the sleepiest baby and people thought I had it made with this little one. He would sleep so late in the morning. I would have to check on him over and over, to see if he was OK. It was hard getting him off to school in later years. His baby brother, would go into his room and put a cold pickle jar on his back to get him up. The other two kids were larks. Up early, good moods, although they still used every excuse in the world to stay up later.Giving in to this wish made for crabby kids in the morning. When they were all grown and the last was in school, I started working from my home.That's when I took on the traits of a night owl. I would get my things done during the day and be up all hours getting orders ready for some holiday or another. I still had to get up early...so I was sleep deprived most of the time.There were times when I didn't handle it well. My holidays were a wreck, as I look back on it. I was so busy doing projects...that when the holidays came around, I really didn't enjoy them. Now, Joe and I have regular hours. In bed by 10 then up at 7.There are times, (Sat. nights for example) that he wants to stay up later.We never make it...and when we get to bed later...we are crabby the next day. (If you're reading this, Joe...yes you are too) Sometimes I'm awake far earlier than 7. I guess that I don't require as much sleep. It is a myth that you require less sleep as you age. I found this when searching around the internet for articles about sleep.I wanted to know more about the characteristics of larks, owls and the in betweens...hummingbirds. I thought it was clever:


If you are right-handed, you may be able to learn to use your left hand. A Type A personality may learn to relax. An overweight person can slim down. In the same way, most larks and owls can manage most schedules as their jobs, families, or social lives demand. Some will feel more mental conflict than others when they try to follow clocks at variance with their natural tendency to choose. Extreme larks and owls report the most problems. They may find it difficult, if not impossible, to function in some situations. They are not sick. They are not lazy. They are not lacking in motivation. Happily, in our increasingly twenty-four-hour world, there are plenty of spots where most larks, owls, and hummingbirds (who adapt to each)can find a secure perch.

So with the time change tonight...we set the clocks back an hour. It will be darker earlier tomorrow afternoon. With winter coming, I tend to like this change. For most people it's a time for relaxation... if we will let it be.Our outside chores are done, the doors to the world close earlier, the kids are in the house, meal time at home.. is a time for family once again, I think that bedtime is easier now. I'll use my favorite word now...it's a cozy time of year.So, if you're a lark, night owl, or the in between...a hummingbird, enjoy the extra hour.

Balisha

17 comments:

BrittArnhild said...

I am a morning bird. Have always been. Nights are terrible hard though.

Judy said...

I am so an owl!!! It was difficult in earlier years. Now "retirement" means I can "retire" later and I was "ment" to sleep in longer in the morning. 9:00 a.m. always seemed a good time to wake up to me, LOL.

Lona said...

I have been both too over the years. I think I am more the night owl now. I guess with the gardening done it is time to catch up on all those things I put off in the house the rest of the year. LOL! With all the rain this year you would think I would have already had it all caught up.

Margie's Musings said...

I am a morning lark, Balisha. I always have been.

Balisha said...

Hi Britt...Does Norway observe daylight savings time? It seems to me that I have read that you do.I always think of Norwegians as a heartier people. We can be wimps about weather sometimes.Thanks for coming to visit, hope your surgery has helped...Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Judy...
Love your definition of retirement. Have a nice weekend.
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Lona,
I always have plans to do different projects in the late fall and winter, but sometimes I just think about them :) Hope your weekend is going well.
Balisha

Balisha said...

Oh, Margie...I knew you were a morning person. Anyone who does what you do in a day...has to start out early. You must be very organized...Have a nice day.
Balisha

acorn hollow said...

I can be either I do like to get up early but I also have a hard time sleeping.
I do hate the winter for the fact that the days are so short.
If I could have more light but still be cold I would be happier.
Cathy

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Balisha..sometimes I think I am a night owl..and then other times..actually probably all three at one time or another. If, we go to bed any later than 10:30, I cannot sleep and have to get back up. If I get back up, I am up all night long and see daybreak! Then I feel horrible by that evening.

I had to smile when I read about feeding the babies..and afraid we might doze off and smother them.
Such sweet memories..but I also longed for just another hour of sleep! I think all of mine were pretty much morning babies..up and about early..sometimes WAY too early.
No sleepyheads in our house..darn the luck!
Our San Bernadino mountains are covered with snow..and the valley is freezing cold. We did our garage sales this morning and almost froze!!

Daylight savings time is here ..already??? WHERE in the world does the time go???
:) Love and hugs,
Mona

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I am a morning lark Balisha, up every morning around 5 a.m. I can't seem to break that habit. When it is warmer I love to go out in the garden early and have all of my working done before the heat.

Eileen

Brenda Pruitt said...

I agree. I think this year I will embrace this hourly change along with all the other changes in my life. Use it as a time of reflection. I've always, always been a morning girl!
Brenda

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

p.s. Did I tell you that Californian's don't even know what a slicker and goloshes are. (is that how you spell it?) See? We can't even spell it..ast least I can't.

Jean said...

Always been a lark. My father was a lark...my mother and owl. Hate time changes but it is lighter in the morning and I like that and so does Izzy as he can get out earlier for a bit.

Elenka said...

Ugh, I wish my outdoor chores were done. The early snowstorm screwed up my calendar.
My sister's two kids were opposites. One stayed up late and one was up before the birds. Needless to say, SHE never go any sleep.

Balisha said...

Hi to all of you,
I think that as I read your comments, most women have been larks...at least part of their lives. Probably due to our children. It gets to be a habit that is hard to break. I think it would be hard to live with someone who is the complete opposite....and then there are those who have to change shifts at work. That to me, would be a nightmare.
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love the morning. Usually up at 4:30. In bed at 7:00 with books and pratyer time. That's me...