A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Learn to do Nothing


As I sit here this morning looking back on the year that is slowly slipping away, I am thinking of all the things that we meant to do as 2010 began. Many of us had lists of things that we wanted to change in our lives. We called them resolutions. For some...we looked forward, with anticipation, to new changes and some had things in the past that they would rather forget and get behind them. I don't think that we should be discouraged if we didn't meet all of our goals. At least we tried and now we are entering a new year and can try again. It's the working on those things that is important.
I've been reading some blogs ...here at the end of the year. So many are restless and ready for Spring...some say they have cabin fever, anxious to start ordering from garden catalogs. To me, winter is a time of rest, to do nothing outside in the garden, to quiet my mind and just relax. Why is is so hard for us to just do nothing? I began learning how to do this years ago when I was really stressed. I had two teenagers, a child in grade school, a job, aging parents and a home to take care of. My doctor said, "Do you ever just do nothing?" to which I answered..."I read and watch TV," He said, "No, just do nothing?" I looked at him like he had holes in his head...me do nothing? How could I do that? I found that I never took the time to do nothing and I had to learn how to do this. Now, many years later, at the end of each growing season, I always find myself saying, "I'm glad that I live in a part of the country that has 4 seasons. I am tired of the work outside...now I can go in and rest." I find that I enjoy when the time changes and it is dark early. The busyness of the world is out my window and I feel like my home is a cocoon. I can stay in my home for a few days without getting that, "I have to get out feeling."
Now that the year is about over and a new one is beginning...my wish for everyone is that we not only have a Happy New Year, but a new year full of peace and quiet...in our homes, towns, country, world...but most of all in our own lives. We need more quiet in our world. We all need to slow down. Maybe a good resolution for the new year would be....to find time to do nothing.
Balisha

12 comments:

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Dear Balisha...
I've had some of your very thoughts of late..that I need to quiet my mind, just sit and watch the sun play across the lace curtains, watch the birds drinking at the fountain and listen to the sounds of my birds chatting to one another in the other room.
It's nice.

Our season are subtle..but that's alright..they are seasons none the less and in Winter, I love just sitting quietly in front of the fire and enjoying the quiet.

Watching snow falling softly would be nice...but since I don't have that..I can look out my family room window ..right over in the corner and get a nice view of the snow capped mountains in the distance. It's lovely.

It's so nice...our world of retirement...we can work if we like..or get busy..our choice.

This is good isn't it?
It's been so nice getting to know you this year...so nice!
Love,
Mona

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I know what you mean Balisha. It is hard for me to do just nothing. I was on the fast track for so long I feel I am not doing enough if I sit for awhile.

Eileen

Barbee' said...

Balisha, I love this post!

Balisha said...

Hi Mona,
I realize that those in warmer climates don't have that same feeling that we have...of being in the house during the winter.I'm sure that even people who live in warm climates find that they slow down during the winter months. I think that even kids need some down time...when they can be in their rooms and just do nothing. Our new technology is changing our world, I'm afraid.No one knows how to relax anymore...Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Eileen,
When I first retired...I used to feel guilty when I didn't accomplish a whole lot in a day. I would relate to my husband everything I did during the day...to sort of validate my day. I have slowly gotten used to retirement and don't have those quilty feelings anymore.Winter does make us slow down. Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Barbee,
I just knew that you would comment on this one. We have been around for quite a few years and realize how important it is to take it easy in our gardening.To just sit on a bench and watch the birds, for example. We are forced to do that, because of body limitations. I just don't struggle with trying to keep things the way that I used to. People will have to accept me the way I am.I love a day that isn't planned...just do what I really want to.....or do nothing at all. Balisha

Margie's Musings said...

I seldom have such a day but this past week I had two of them. It was really quite nice.

2 Dogs said...

Happy New Year! Hugs

Barbara said...

Doing nothing is about the hardest thing for me but on the day after Boxing Day I decided to do just that (providing reading fits the bill)

I find it easier to do nothing in the summer when I can sit on the beach or in the garden.

Projects - well all the projects I have in mind for the rest of the winter where the same ones that were there last year!!!!!!
Happy New Year to you Balisha.

Tolentreasures said...

What great advice! Something I need to take time to do. Winter always seems to bring more work for me...firewood, shoveling, stress of getting places on bad roads and the COLD! I need to learn to rest!
Thanks for posting!

Cathy

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

All you have shared - I understand.
Always busy with workibng a large family,and the many things I have done solo over the last years.
I am a little better but not where I want to be.
To be aware of our need is the first step.
Thank you for this post.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Happy New Year! (Just read it as I have been off line a bit, enjoying the holidays with family.) But...that doesn't mean I know how "to do nothing!" Oh this was the post for me. I retired end of June, and have been busy busy sine then. Now that winter is here--I don't know what to do! And, I can't just sit because..well...guess I feel lazy. Who knows why. Thanks for the advice--all I can do is try! :)