A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Shhhhhh!...Listen to Nature



A favorite Bible verse...

Song of Solomon 2:12 The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

Gardening has always given me a sense of well-being and a connection to something greater than myself. We have faith that our seeds will grow, that our tender plants will make it through all kinds of weather, that rain will come. I have devoted a part of my yard to a prayer garden of sorts. It is a place where I can go and feel the world slip away. Be still with nature, so to speak. This place is the first place I go, when I am out gardening and the last place I visit when I'm tired. I love to sit on my bench and just be quiet. Shhhh...listen to nature. The little birds come to visit, when I am quiet. A hummingbird may come close, the delightful chickadees flit about and wonder if I'm going to fill the feeders, the blue jays call from the tops of trees and the sparrows and finches are everywhere. I have tried to plant the border with things that will show from the house. On days in the spring or winter and I can't get back there...I can see the colors from my patio doors. I have garden ornaments that lead my on my spiritual path. A statue of St. Francis, one of St. Fiacre (the patron saint of gardening) angels and in the front of the house a statue of the Virgin Mary. Garden crosses, stone grottoes, or ornate pedestals can also add to the spiritual peace that a prayer garden offers.I don't know much about other religions symbols, but maybe rock formations are spiritual for some...a thought just came into my head...how about stepping stones with family members names on them? The peaceful gardens of the Japanese have many stone formations and statues. Quiet water fountains and peaceful bird statuary. Religious plants come to mind..Jacob's Ladder, Lilies, Roses, Rose of Sharon, Lily of the Valley. When you are planning your garden for next year...give this post a thought. A place to sit when you are bone tired...a place to meditate...a place to pray.
Balisha

4 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, I am in the process of creating something like this:)
Have a good night.

Meadowview Thymes said...

What a wonderful, peaceful post. Just what I needed today!
I made my pumpkins arrangements today, and yes I did hollow, fill with potting soil then plant. They look pretty good, but my pansies are not blooming as well as they were 2 days ago--darn! :)
Balisha, would you give me your recipe for that chicken noodle soup you made the night you cleaned your kitchen? It looks soooo good, and I do not have a good recipe for chicken soup. My email is LBMandeville@verizon.net
Thanks!!

coolwaterworks said...

It has been a long wish of mine to have a garden... And I agree, there is something spiritual with gardening...

When I was younger, I used to have bonsais at home... But now that I am away and working in a another island, it's difficult to maintain plants. I used to buy cactii as they don't need that much attention and watering but they all died...

Perhaps some day soon, I'll have that garden... :D

Anonymous said...

I am always working and planning and thinking about how I can make my yard and flower beds look more inviting. I don't think we are much different from the small animals stashing away their nuts, etc.for winter. We just plan further ahead than they do! Have a great week.