A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Pot of Stew


Joe was visiting a friend the other day and he said, "I think that I will go home and make some stew." He stopped at the grocery and bought a couple pounds of stew meat and then some more beef that he would cut up into stew meat for the freezer. You have to understand that he used to be a meat cutter....sooo I have to hold him down, when he sees a meat counter. He loves to shop for meat and keeps our freezer full. He will bring home a whole beef or pork loin and cut and package it himself. Whole chickens are a snap for him to cut. He knows his way around the kitchen too and stew is his specialty. He will find the biggest pot and start browning the meat. He gets it good and brown and then starts adding the rest of the ingredients. He uses some canned vegetables and fresh carrots, yukon gold potatoes, onions and any vegetables left in the refrigerator. He wastes nothing. He cooks it hard and fast. The juice is thickened with cornstarch. Lots of seasonings....thyme, salt and pepper, garlic, hot pepper flakes, and some things that I don't even know about. (secret ingredients) He cooks his stew on top of the stove and it bubbles fast. We were sitting at the table eating his stew in a matter of two hours. He isn't a patient man...so the crockpot isn't his cup of tea. I would rather make stew the slow way to develop the flavors, I think. I like his stew...it makes for a hearty satisfying meal. Fall has begun, so our meals are changing. I love to cook in the fall and winter and Joe loves to eat my cooking. I enjoy eating things that he prepares...though we are very different cooks.
Balisha
PS...He cleans up the kitchen afterward :)

6 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

Ah Balisha, your Joe must be a jewel. I have always had to do the cooking and now I don't cook anymore.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

This sounds so tasty. Yes, you have a jewel and the freezer stays full of meat and chicken to turn into tasty meals. I cook a lot but a challenge to cook small portions. Then when children visit it is normal cooking!!

Lynn said...

As much as I love to cook it has been a challenge these last few weeks since school has started. I am overwelmed with school and after school meetings,knitting and other appointments. I haven't even been blogging,let alone reading any. I need Joe at my house for a while whould you like to come for a visit!!!LOL ttyl...

Balisha said...

I'll have to watch what I say about him...he might just run away from home.

Anonymous said...

That stew sounds really good. I think it is great that he cleans up the kitchen, too. I usually do the cooking when Bob is here and he cleans up. I like that. I love to cook in the fall and winter. I usually cook too much but we either eat it or freeze it for another time. I hate cutting up a chicken. Love the new header.

Diana LaMarre said...

What a lucky woman you are to have a man who enjoys cooking. Joe's stew sounds delightful. It is one of those fall dishes that I, too, love to make.