A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Hummingbirds Love These Four Plants








We've had so many hummingbirds this year. I sit in my rocker, by the glass doors, and watch them going back and forth between the flowers and the big Spruce...we call "Blue." This year they seem to like the Victoria Blue Mealy Cub Sage, the Purple Ray veined Petunia, my scented geranium, and the Mandevilla vine. Where ever I sit there is a feeder. They flit from flower to feeder most all day long. The geranium doesn't have many flowers on it...they go to the same blossom over and over. I wonder where all the sweetness comes from? Wouldn't you think the they could eventually suck out all the nectar that the plant has to offer? Right now, the garden is alive with butterflies and these tiny birds. Other years have found me working in these beds. This year, with the hot hot weather, I have observed from a window or while sitting on the porch. I haven't been present in the flower beds during the hot weather. Maybe my absence has made them feel safer. Anyway, I'm glad that I've had something to watch, while trying to keep cool. Today, I ordered some Japanese Anemones. They will be delivered at the end of the month. I wasn't going to order any flowers this year, but this cooler weather makes me feel invigorated. I have that "get back in the garden feeling." Those little creatures will have to step aside...Balisha's back.
Balisha :)


3 comments:

garden girl said...

Indoors where it's cool has been the place to be this summer Balisha. Thank goodness for air conditioning.

Today was so wonderful, such a welcome relief from the heat we've had!

One of the best things about gardening is enjoying the wildlife, like hummingbirds and butterflies, that visit our gardens. I could watch them all day.

Anonymous said...

It is 62 degrees here this morning. I love it! This is the first cool morning for us in months. I saw a hummingbird yesterday in my red impatiens. It was the first one I have seen this summer. You are probably right, I keep them away by being out there all the time. It was cooler here yesterday and I was out most of the day. I can't stay in the house when the humidity is low. I could not wait to open all the windows this morning.

Racquel said...

They do adore those tubular blooms. They also love Lobelia, Lantana, Black & Blue Salvia, Pineapple Sage and Agastache. :)