A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Carnations...My Favorite Florist Flower

I have had a love affair with carnations since receiving a bouquet from a boyfriend and then my corsage at the high school prom. A simple bouquet of mini carnations makes me happy. I love the clove scent and just the simple flower with beautiful tight buds and green stems...without a lot of foliage. The minis that have an edging of a different color are especially nice. These flowers last so long. I have had big bouquets of different flowers and when the others are fading...I always take a bud vase and put the carnations in a simple arrangement. Their fragrance fills the room for days In the 70's florists would make up a bouquet of carnations to resemble a ice cream soda. I received one, while in the hospital, from friends of mine. It was all pink and frothy looking. The tall soda glass was filled with a crushed pink styro foam material. It was one of the first ones that the hospital staff had seen. It was a hit. I went on to send these to anyone who was in the hospital....especially teens.



Then I got the idea that I could make one of these myself and save a lot of money. So I started scouting garage sales to find the glasses. It was really easy and took very few flowers. I don't know if mine was as perfect as the florist's, but I was happy with the outcome. I may try making one of these again sometime...when I need to send a bouquet.
Balisha

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The arrangements are beautiful with just a touch of whimsy. I love carnations, too. Their spicy scent and the fact that they're long-lasting as cut flowers with very little fuss make them doubly attractive. I like your new blog template...and just look at those wonderful crocuses in your header photo!

Noelle Johnson said...

I love your arrangements. I love carnations too - they are beautiful and last forever :^)

Lona said...

Those are the cutest arrangements Balisha. I have never saw one before either.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Balisha. Carnations are my Mom's favorite flower. She loves the scent. I remember when Sandfields and Loglis sold bunches of carnations very inexpensively. We bought them often.

Next time I see them I will try your suggestion of making an ice cream sundae for Mom:)
Marnie

Anonymous said...

I love pink carnations. They are so pretty. I remember getting a wrist corsage for a dance in high school with them. When we were little kids, we used to make fake ones out of kleenex. They almost looked like the real thing especially if you used a pink kleenex.

Balisha said...

I can see that we all like pink carnations. I made those carnations, Judy...I had forgotten all about them. We also made big ones out of crepe paper. I didn't make the arrangements in my post...so I can't take credit for them.
Balisha

Balisha said...

I can see that we all like pink carnations. I made those carnations, Judy...I had forgotten all about them. We also made big ones out of crepe paper. I didn't make the arrangements in my post...so I can't take credit for them.
Balisha