A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What Happened to My Tulips?


I always admired the Angelique tulips in our Mary's Garden at Church. When fall came around, I put my name in to order a few... along with the Church order. This was the fall of 2010. I was not sure which ones to order...the pale, pale pink or the pale orange. I just fell in love with the orange ones, so I ordered several dozen of them. When they came, I planted them the correct way. I have planted tulips many times before...so I wasn't a newbie. In the spring of 2011...they made quite a show. Every one of these came up and was so pretty. I enjoyed them for many days and then let the leaves turn brown before getting rid of them.
I was over at Church and noticed that the Angeliques were breaking ground several weeks ago. Came home and checked mine...no little green nubs poking up. I thought that they might just be late. Sunday, the Church gardens were edged in these pretty tulips and mine are still underground. I've heard of people having leaves and no flowers, but no leaves at all???I just wonder what happened? There isn't a sign of green where I planted them. With the warm spring, I would have thought that they would be blooming their heads off. Can anyone offer any ideas as to what is wrong?
Balisha

8 comments:

Mitzi said...

Could it be that moles or some other little varmint ate your bulbs this year? I also lost mine this year-only a few leaves came up. Those photos you show are just lovely.

Lona said...

Did you dig down to see what the bulbs looked like? Maybe something got to the bulbs. I planted Angelique a few years ago and they only bloom two years for me before I had to take them up but since the ones at church are still blooming maybe little squirrel, chipmunk or bug got to them.

Balisha said...

We do have moles here in our yard. I tried to dig down, but found no evidence of bulbs. We also h ave those "sweet" little chipmunks and of course the possum.So, I guess that must be the answer...you can't have wildlife and expect to have tulips.

Diana LaMarre said...

My guess is that a vole or mole ate them. Squirrels also like to dig them up and store them for their winter feasts. It's such a shame after you went to all the work and expense to plant them.

Balisha said...

It's so strange...no leaves at all...it's as if I never planted them.
Balisha

Jean said...

Squirrels love tulips. I would dig in and see if they were still there. They could have rotted...but my bet is on a squirrel.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

No luck with tulips.
Have planted 100
and 3 or 4 would come up.
The squirrels ate them :)

Balisha said...

We have only a couple of squirrels... maybe they are the culprits.I can't see where anything has been dug up...so that leads me to suspect some underground varmint.