I don't like to dwell on growing old, but daily, things happen that remind you. I just had my yearly physical ....most of the checkup was about my blood pressure. It is under control and so is cholesterol. Good news at the Doctor this time. Monday I was due for an eye examination. I have the beginning of macular degeneration and it has to be watched. I needed new glasses and sun glasses. I was given a name of a new vitamin and was told to wear sun glasses. I've been doing that already. My diet has been adjusted also. Here are a few things that I have noticed in my daily life.
1. I noticed when growing old was that my vision was changing. I had to hold a book at a arm's distance to see it. Glasses became part of my wardrobe.
2. Have you ever noticed that older people kind of grunt when they get out of a chair...unhhhhhh. We all do it.
3. We wake up with the birds. Darn those birds anyway.
4. We can actually hurt from lying in bed too long.
5. We start eating bran, prunes, oat bran, fiber....mmmm that tree bark looks yummy!
6. We turn the volume on the TV up. That's a big thing here at our house with hubby.
7. We reminisce telling the same old stories. Boring people I'm sure.
8. We vacuum a room and sit for a while. We dust a room and sit for a while. We work in the garden and rest a bit.
9. We use a garden stool. Going out into the garden finds us needing a pack mule to go along.
10. We have to adjust our heads to deal with bi and tri focals. Always looks like I am snooty. How about looking at price tags in the dress shop? That's why I shop online.
11. In the grocery...we are the ones who are tooling around with our carts bumping into each other.
12. We take 15 items to the 10 item line.
13. Your husband rides in the motorized car at the store and you run along behind filling the cart.
14. Some of us complain too much. "In my day....."
15. We complain if someone else is in our Pew at church.
16. We tend to watch the same TV shows each week. We don't like change.
17. We aren't comfortable in some other homes...no comfortable chairs.
18.Driving....don't get me started. I don't like driving and my husband does most of it. Sometimes I have white knuckles. Lots of unusual language in the car.
19. No night driving. This is a big concern as many do it anyway....blind drivers out there scary!
I guess 19 is enough....I will probably have a new one tomorrow to report on.
Oh, oh, I thought of another. So many of my friends send me email after email about growing old and remind me. I would just like to sit in my recliner...unhhhhh, watch wheel of fortune, drink some decaf, cover up with my afghan, nod off, snore a bit, startle myself by hubby turning up the volume, look at the clock and see that it is 10 PM and time for the news...head for bed and sleep till 4 am , listen to the birds , get up unhhhh and start all over again.
As they say, "Old Age Is Not For Sissies" Our children don't want us to complain about getting old....I always thought it was because they didn't want us to grow old. Really it's all about them....they are getting up in years and don't want to be reminded about how it will be.